Metro

Daredevil 100 Illegal Migrants Who Ignored Dangerous Sea Conditions and Boarded a Dinghy to the UK Face a Terrifying Outcome They Never Saw Coming

3views

A boat carrying migrants suffered an engine failure shortly after leaving the French coast on Monday morning, leaving people on board in serious danger in the English Channel.

French authorities said 96 people were rescued and taken safely to the port of Boulogne-sur-Mer after the incident. The situation became even more dangerous as the boat left Le Touquet beach, with around 30 people ending up in the water.

Rescuers said some of those who fell into the sea were struggling badly against the strong currents. Four people had to be rescued from the water by helicopter, while another six were brought to safety by lifeboat.

The incident highlights the serious dangers faced by people attempting to cross the English Channel in small and often overcrowded boats. When engines fail or boats become unstable, passengers can quickly find themselves in a life-threatening situation, particularly when the sea is rough or the currents are strong.

Later on Monday, another group of people believed to be migrants was seen arriving at the Border Security Command compound in Dover, Kent, after crossing the Channel in separate boats.

Home Office figures showed that around 250 people arrived in the UK on three boats on Monday. The latest arrivals came as the Government faced growing pressure to deal with the number of people making dangerous Channel crossings.

The issue has also raised concerns about the tactics being used by people-smuggling gangs. In recent weeks, there have been reports of gangs putting increasing numbers of people onto individual boats, creating even more dangerous conditions for those on board.

One particularly large inflatable boat was reported to be around 15 metres long, or roughly 50 feet. French rescuers warned that the huge dinghy was “buckling” in the water and could have resulted in a major tragedy.

Prime Minister Andy Burnham said the Government was aware that the gangs appeared to be changing the way they operated and promised that the Government would change its approach as well.

He said the Government would remain focused on going after the gangs responsible for organising the crossings and would continue working to stop dangerous small-boat journeys across the Channel.

Mr Burnham had previously said that the Government would continue working on the issue until small-boat crossings were stopped, although he did not give a specific deadline for achieving this.

He also said he wanted to make promises that the Government could realistically deliver, while maintaining what he described as a strong and continued focus on tackling the problem.

The Prime Minister also suggested that asylum seekers may need to be housed in more affluent parts of the UK, rather than the responsibility continuing to fall mainly on poorer areas.

The latest rescue comes as concerns continue to grow over the safety of Channel crossings and the methods used by smuggling gangs to bring large numbers of people across the water. With boats becoming larger and more crowded, rescuers face increasingly difficult situations when something goes wrong at sea.